- J.D., University of Calgary
- B.A., Mount Royal University
Awards and Recognition
- Soby Boyden Lenz Scholarship in Family Law
- Vallance Prize in Family Law
- Kerry Dyte Bursary
- Alberta Law Foundation Bursary
- Kevin Gillis Memorial Scholarship in Economics
- General A.J.G.D de Chastelain Scholarship in Policy Studies
- Estate Planning Council of Calgary Scholarship in Law
- Dean's List, 2015 - 2016
WHEN I'M NOT LAWYERING
Emily practices in and assists lawyers in all areas of Family Law, Personal Injury and Estate Litigation. Emily has appeared before the Provincial Court of Alberta, the Court of Queen’s Bench of Alberta and the Court of Appeal of Alberta.Emily joined Vogel LLP as a summer law student in 2014 and began her articles with the firm in June 2016. Emily obtained her J.D. from the University of Calgary in 2016. In 2013, Emily graduated from Mount Royal University with a Bachelor of Arts (Honors) in Policy Studies and a minor in Economics.
During law school, Emily volunteered as a caseworker with Student Legal Assistance, where she worked with clients with various legal issues. Emily also actively volunteered with ProBono Students Canada; in her second year, Emily volunteered with the Emergency Protection Project, where she interviewed and provided legal information to victims of domestic violence. In her final year of law school, Emily became the Project Leader for the Civil Claims Duty Counsel Project, where she worked with unrepresented litigants in Small Claims Court. In early 2016, Emily completed a twelve week clerkship at the Provincial Court of Alberta where she worked one-on-one with Provincial Court Judges, gaining litigation experience from the judicial perspective.
Emily was born and raised in Calgary. Emily is an active volunteer with Inn from the Cold Calgary and the Canadian Cancer Society. In her free time, Emily enjoys being outdoors and spending time with friends and family.
- Member of the Law Society of Alberta
- Member of the Canadian Bar Association
- Member of the Calgary Bar Association
- Member of the Alberta Civil Trial Lawyers Association
- The “Dragon’s Den” of Online Evidence
- An Overview of Bill C-78: How is the Divorce Act Changing?
- Children Gone Wild: Who Pays When Your Kid Goes to Jail?
- Case Comment: H.S. v. The Private Academy, 2017 HRTO 791
- What Not to Do During a Separation
- Making Unemployment “Work” in Family Law Proceedings
- Psychological Injury & the Law: Clarification from the Supreme Court
- Update to the Federal Child Support Guidelines
- Why Good Fences (and Facebook Privacy Settings) Make Good Neighbours
- Break-ups of the Rich & Famous
- Who Owns It Anyway? Reproductive Technology and the Law
- Gilmore Girls Reboot: Trouble in Stars Hollow?
- Retroactive Child Support: How Low Can You Go?
- The Legalities of a Celebrity Feud