Andy practices in the family law group at Vogel LLP as a lawyer, mediator and arbitrator. He has appeared successfully before the Provincial Court of Alberta, the Court of Queen’s Bench of Alberta, the Alberta Court of Appeal and has been involved in Applications for Leave to Appeal to the Supreme Court of Canada. Andy has extensive trial experience before the Court of Queen’s Bench and significant experience advocating for clients at the Alberta Court of Appeal.
Andy has been recognized by his peers as a leading family law and divorce lawyer in Calgary. In 2020, he was the recipient of the South Asian Bar Association of North America’s Rising Star Award. Andy has been faculty at the National Judicial Institute, which provides legal education to judges from across Canada. Andy has also acted as faculty and delivered legal education to other lawyers in various seminars including through the Legal Education Society of Alberta. He sits on the Law Society of Alberta’s Lawyer Competence Advisory Committee and acts as a mentor through the Law Society of Alberta’s Mentor Connect program. Andy also maintains a role with the Advocates Society as a Member-at-Large on the National Family Law Practice Group Committee. He is also a member of the executive of the South Asian Bar Association – Calgary Chapter. Andy maintains a number of professional memberships to assist in his practice, including membership to International Bar Association. His membership to the IBA is especially helpful in international family matters, including international child abductions, custody, visitations and matters governed by the Hague Convention. Andy also is on the roster of lawyers offering pro bono legal services to athletes and athletic bodies who are dealing with the Sport Dispute Resolution Centre of Canada, which is the body that handles amateur sport disputes at the national sports level. An avid golfer, Andy is part of the Board that helps organize the annual SEVA Charity Golf Classic in support of the Children’s Hospital Foundation. Andy is fluent in Punjabi and has a working knowledge of Hindi.
When he isn’t practicing law or volunteering, Andy spends time with his young family, follows sports and travels.
- LRS v SSD, 2020 ABCA 206 – Acted for the Appellant Father in appeal to the Alberta Court of Appeal of a Court of Queen’s Bench special chambers decision regarding imputation of income and section 7 child support expenses.
- SJB v RDBB, 2020 ABCA 108 – Successfully acted for the Respondent Wife in appeal to the Alberta Court of Appeal from a Court of Queen’s Bench trial decision related to the sale of a matrimonial home and the refusal of the trial judge to deem an interfamily loan as a matrimonial debt.
- FJN v JK, 2020 CanLii 8218 (SCC) – Successfully acted for the Respondent Father in leave to appeal application before the Supreme Court of Canada related to a decision from the Alberta Court of Appeal.
- DAF v SRG, 2020 ABCA 25 – Successfully acted for the Appellant Father in appeal to the Alberta Court of Appeal regarding the dismissal of an application for parenting by a Court of Queen’s Bench Chambers Justice.
- FJN v JK, 2019 ABCA 305 – Successfully acted for the Appellant Father in an appeal to the Alberta Court of Appeal from a Court of Queen’s Bench trial decision related to child support, section 7 expenses and costs.
- SJB v RDBB, 2019 ABQB 624 – Successfully acted for the Plaintiff Wife in a multi-day trial regarding custody, parenting, support, family property and corporate interests. Secured lump-sum spousal and child support awards along with a significant property award.
- JLL v JLC, 2019 ABQB 278 – Decision on costs related to appeal from Provincial Court of Alberta decision.
- JLL v JLC, 2018 ABQB 838– Successfully acted for the Respondent Grandparents in an appeal to the Court of Queen’s Bench of Alberta from two decisions of the Provincial Court of Alberta regarding contact with a grandchild.
- Buchner v Long, 2017 ABCA 382 – Successfully acted for the Respondent Mother in an appeal to the Alberta Court of Appeal from a Court of Queen’s Bench trial decision related to the division of property in a long-term relationship where the parties were not married.
- TNR (TNM) v WPR, 2017 CanLII 20386 (SCC) – Successfully acted for the Respondent Father in leave to appeal application before the Supreme Court of Canada related to a decision from the Alberta Court of Appeal.
- SK v MK, 2017 ABQB 249 – Successfully acted for the Plaintiff Father in a Court of Queen’s Bench Trial regarding custody, access and the improper removal of a child from Alberta.
- SK v MK, 2016 ABCA 341 – Successfully acted for the Respondent Father in and appeal to the Alberta Court of Appeal from a Court of Queen’s Bench special application relating the jurisdiction in which the action should be heard.
- TNR v WPR, 2016 ABCA 322 – Successfully acted for Respondent Husband in an appeal to the Alberta Court of Appeal from a Court of Queen’s Bench special application relating to the termination of access.
- Kansal v Bhardwaj, 2016 ABQB 262 – Acted for the Plaintiff Husband in a Court of Queen’s Bench trial related to the date of separation.
- Anand v Anand, 2016 ABCA 23 – Successfully acted for the Respondent Wife in an appeal to the Alberta Court of Appeal from a Court of Queen’s Bench viva voce hearing related to quantum of spousal support and the use of an interpreter.
- Anand v Anand, 2015 ABCA 64 – Successfully acted for the Appellant Wife in an appeal to the Alberta Court of Appeal from a Court of Queen’s Bench chambers decision related to spousal support.
- Member of the Law Society of Alberta
- Member of the Canadian Bar Association
- Member of the International Bar Association
- Member of the Association of Family and Conciliation Courts
“I was referred to Andy to assist in a matter at the Court of Appeal. From our first meeting I could tell Andy knew the law extremely well. At the Court of Appeal he was very well spoken and handled the appeal flawlessly. I would not hesitate in hiring Andy again to assist in an appeal.” – J.K.
“I knew that I required someone who could confidently navigate diverse, multicultural situations effectively to ensure the best results possible. It was in my first meeting with Andy and his knowledgeable team that confirmed, for me, that this partnership would be in the best interest for my children and I. Andy and his team were persistent and professional; even over the holidays, Andy and the team at Vogel LLP ensured that we maintained the best position possible. This level of engagement from the firm was incredibly comforting. Andy was quick to quash unnecessary over-reach, protecting us from the zealous tactics from the opposing party. In court he was succinct, articulate, knowledgeable and this led to our win.” – S.P.
“Andy was confident and knowledgeable about my case and the law. He merged the knowledge to represent me in a way that I felt cared about and protected. I would recommend him to anyone.” – C.S.
“I write this in appreciation of the work done on my family law matter by one of the best lawyers ever, Mr. Andy Hayher. It’s rare that a father gets sole custody of a child, but Andy made that happen for me. He was very detailed in his work and was professional in dealing with me and my family during this stressful time. Nobody could have done a better job. Andy fought as if he was fighting for himself and his own family and got the best result possible. He went above and beyond and guided us though the entire process, working in the best interest of my family. He knew what steps needed to be taken and when to take them. We could not have chosen a better lawyer. Also, the entire Vogel staff including the Receptionists, Assistants and Students were outstanding and I thank them from the core of my heart for working so hard for me. In what you have done for me, you have given me my life back.” – S.K.
- Don’t Disclose at Your Peril
- Changing Primary Care & Alienation
- Retroactive Child Support Into A Trust
- Are We Married?
- Shady Disclosure
- Divorce: the Process
- Grandparent Access – Two Approaches
- Am I Common Law in Canada?
- Absconding & Forum Shopping
- Judicial Interviews in Custody Cases
- If Only He Had Been Nice to Fluffy
- Income Disparity & Child Support
- Court Says No to Nasty Behaviour
- When Does a ‘Marriage-Like’ Relationship Begin
- $1 Million To Level The Playing Field
- She Said She Was On The Pill
- Grandkids & Access
- Dowry Dispute